Monday, March 12, 2007

It's an abusive relationship . . .

...but the rewards of sailboat racing overshadow the cuts, bruises, aches and pains. I can not think of a better place to be than on a Mumm 30 off the shores of South Beach. Premiere Racing's Acura Grand Prix has come to a close and though a smaller venue this year, there was some great racing and beautiful conditions. During one upwind leg my pit man looks down in the the clear blue water and says, "...looks so good I could stick a staw in it...". The hiking hurt a bit but the view below was great!

This was a unique event for me. I started the event working with dear friends Ed Furry and Curtis Florence of Sail22 in pre-event work (boat set up, etc), spent a day sailing with Farr40 Ramrod doing pit (an amazing group of guys and yes boyz I will upgrade to full finger gloves before I sail with you next!!) and then onto training and racing with my Mumm30 Kiazen crew. In addition to this, I was rehabbing one professional sailor from a shoulder injury he acquired the week prior which lead to some consults of fellow pros on different boats with various aches and pains. The shoulders, neck and lower back...I will be sure to re-visit these areas in upcoming newsletters!

I would like to send out an apology to those who I would have enjoyed working with, sadly I acquired a cold early on and a sailing injury which limited my availability as the week rolled on. It was a great learning experience of limitations of both sailing in an event and working with folks afterwards . . .Sailing and spending time in the community was my goal for this event and given the decrease is size; I had the pleasure of meeting some wonderful folks from around the world on the docks and at Monty's. It was great fun! However, due to the great interest in post racing therapy work...keep an eye out for SailTrim! I had great fun teaching dockside stretching and shore side massage therapy!

So what is next...the very overdue March Newsletter and planning the SailTrim European adventure! I have a great deal of writing to do for the community as well and look forward to delivering some meatier publications in the future.

Special thank you to Sail22, Iniki and my hometown Mudheads!

Fair Winds ~ Jenn

No comments: